PHP’s HipHop outperforms PHP 5.5 with Zend OPCache and Nginx by 15-20 times
A very interesting benchmark on www.alexfu.it shows excellent comparisons of
- plain PHP on Nginx (PHP 5.3 I think)
- PHP on Nginx with APC enabled
- PHP 5.5 with OPcache enabled
- PHP (5.3 I think) in HipHop VM
The result is awesome: While PHP 5.5 with OPcache runs faster than HipHop (!) when running a naked Symfony2 application (which is not representative by the way), the HipHop virtual machine clearly kills everything in a high-CPU application:
- HipHop can handle 20x more requests per second than PHP 5.5 on Nginx with OPcache (which is already much faster than plain PHP)
- HipHop serves a stack of requests in only 8% of the time PHP 5.5 on Nginx with OPcache needs.
Get the full benchmarks here:
Update: Another great post with similar results
You might want to look over those numbers again. HHVM beats PHP-fpm+APC, but PHP-fpm+opcache consistently wins
Can u share the config of HHVM? Also did you use HHVM as fastcgi or a http server?